Sunday, 28 February 2016

Book review: The Little Shop of Happy Ever After by Jenny Colgan

...where dreams come true.


"Sometimes I think being a reader is kind of like being in a special club. Like, we know that there's nothing better than curling up with a good book in front of the fire or on a sun-lounger or under a tree, but sometimes I feel maybe we're the only people who know that reading is different to (and better than) all the crazy-busy stuff we all get caught up with every day.

So I've written a book for and about readers, Nina is a bookworm who dreams of running her own little bookshop.  But real life is a bit trickier than the stories Nina loves, as she discovers when she moves to the beautiful wild highlands of Scotland to turn her dreams into reality..."

There is nothing quite like curling up with a book and getting lost in the stories they tell.  Jenny Colgan is right, being a reader is like being in a special club, one filled with like-minded people, each with their own story to tell.

I picked this book up the other day in Tesco (I can't go in there without going near the books.  I've tried and it's impossible for me), and I lifted it today planning on reading for a couple of hours before working on my latest crochet project... I finished this novel half an hour ago, and never got round to lifting my crochet.  

From the first page I was sucked in, immersed in Nina's world, and found myself reading about a woman much like myself.  Someone who loves literature, who undeniably has turned to it for comfort, and for escape.  Also someone who loves seeing others read, and finds it a great challenge to find that one book that turns someone into a reader.

Nina's character is one I feel many readers can and will identify with. Literature is one of life's joys, to be loved and cherished by those who stumbled into their worlds. 

Colgan also mentions an issue that is definitely a current problem in today's society, and that is the decline of libraries across Britain and indeed other countries. With the rise in popularity of ebooks and e-readers, people do not venture into libraries like they used to. I myself don't visit my local library very often, but the reason for that is it is rather tiny and not very well stocked. Plus I am the sort of reader who likes to own books, to be able to choose a book from my many shelves at random and get lost in its tale. 

I truly enjoyed every moment of this book, and I highly recommend it as well as Colgan's other novels - I have yet to read one I haven't liked! 

Till next time,
Naomi x

No comments:

Post a Comment