Sunday, 24 January 2016

Spoonie stigma

Hey there lovelies. 

Tonight I went out to a local bar with some friends to celebrate their birthdays. I've been in a lot of pain the past few days, so I used my cane to help ease the pain in my legs. 

And some complete idiot decided he would try and be funny and make comments about my cane. 

This is one of many reasons why I hate using it. People can be so ignorant and rude, especially as I'm only in my 20's. 

But chronic illness doesn't have an age requirement. It can happen at any time, and you have to live with it, as well as the snarky comments people make. 

The stigma around having a chronic illness or disability is insane. Some people have no respect or empathy for others. 

No wonder a lot of spoonies find it hard to live with their condition when we have to deal with rude comments. 

I am lucky though in that my friends are amazing. They confronted the idiot who was making fun of me, and told him off big time! This is an unusual thing for me, as I've never really had friends that would stick up for me. I feel blessed to have friends like this. They are the best pick-me-up I could have. I love them all so much, and I don't think they realise just how much I appreciate them. 

I apologise for the mini rant, and my next post will be more upbeat!

Naomi x

No comments:

Post a Comment