Saturday, 19 December 2015

What it means to be a 'Spoonie'


Hello there lovelies!

Those of you who follow me on Twitter will have seen me tweet often with the hashtag #Spoonie. 

What is a spoonie?
A spoonie is someone who identifies with the Spoon Theory by Christine Miserandino. This theory uses spoons to illustrate what it is like to live with a chronic illness or condition. (You can find it at: http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/)

How do I relate?
I unfortunately have a plethora of health conditions I have to deal with on a daily basis. These are: pernicious anaemia, asthma, anxiety/panic attacks, depression, costochondritis, fibromyalgia and Hypermobility syndrome. 

Yea I know, it's a lot!

Now on a daily basis I suffer from chronic pain, fatigue, and many other symptoms from my fibromyalgia. And I can honestly say it's hard. I really struggle dealing with the pain sometimes. I work in retail which doesn't make it any easier, but like other spoonies I have to battle on! 

The Spoonie Community 
One great thing about the spoon theory is that there is now an entire community who can relate to it on social media. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter all allow the spoonie community to talk and help each other, and it is amazing how comforting it is to know you are not alone. We are warriors fighting many different things, and we are stronger because of it.  

The main conditions I find hard to deal with are my fibromyalgia, anxiety, and hypermobility syndrome. In a previous post I talked about my anxiety, and in the next few weeks I hope to write about the other two. 

For now I'm going to go, but for all my spoonie friends I'd like to say stay strong and keep smiling! 

Naomi x

No comments:

Post a Comment