Tuesday, 22 December 2015

Spoonie self-care: top 5 tips


When you suffer from a chronic condition, whatever it may be, self care is extremely important. Why? Because our bodies and minds are a little more fragile than most, and after all, who does love a little TLC?

My top 5 methods of self care are as follows:

1. Listen to your body 
If your body is telling you to rest, listen! You will do yourself no favours by pushing yourself too hard (trust me, I know). Have a nap, sit and read, or even take a nice bath. 

2. Learn to say no
This one can be a bit difficult if you are someone like me. I HATE saying no to people, but I have come to the realisation that I have to in order to help take care of myself. Too sore to make it to dinner with friends? Rearrange it. Not enough energy to attend that Christmas/birthday party? Send a gift with your apology. Don't try and push yourself even harder than you need to. Chances are, people care more that you are ok than if you cancel. 

3. Indulgence is essential 
Love taking a warm bath? Like to curl up in bed with a book? Indulge in life's little pleasures. You deserve it!

4. Surround yourself with the right people 
Who you surround yourself with is also important when it comes to self-care. Keep those who love you for you, and who care about you and your health close. Don't worry about those who are selfish or rude. You don't need them in your life. This is a lesson I recently learnt, and I now have a small group of fantastic friends and family who I love dearly. 

5. Get rid of that guilt
A problem all spoonies face is feeling guilty because of their health. Don't! You didn't ask for any health conditions, so why should you feel guilty? You have nothing to be guilty for, so give yourself a little love for who you are, health conditions and all! 

Though we hate them, our conditions make us stronger, more empathetic, kinder and more appreciative of the world around us. Never forget that!

Naomi x

No comments:

Post a Comment