Tuesday, 29 December 2015

Let's get crafty!


When suffer from chronic conditions like I do, you often look for a way to distract yourself from your thoughts, pain, etc. 

Now unfortunately I'm not very artistic. The best I can draw is stick men and boxes. That's it. 

I can however write, knit, and crochet. 

Personally I love to knit and crochet. I'm currently working on a crocheted blanket. I have 46 squares left to crochet and join and then my blanket will be complete!! This is it so far:

I am also currently working on a sweater for myself. This is my second attempt at knitting it, as the first one didn't go so well. This time it seems to be working though! 

As mentioned I also write. In my case I write on here, and I also write poetry. I find both a great way of not only expressing my thoughts and feelings, but also a good way to calm my mind. 

Like I mentioned in yesterday's post, my anxiety levels are rather high at the moment. Today I spent the day in my pjs, reading and crocheting. And it has helped me slightly. As is writing this post. 

Creativity is often the best outlet for those who have a lot going on in their lives. Even adult colouring books, which have become recently popular, are great, as even the least artistic soul (like myself), can create something beautiful. 

This then gives the individual a sense of achievement or pride. You can look at the piece of art, poetry, knitted/crocheted item, and say "look, I did that."  

What are your favourite crafty hobbies? Do you knit, crochet or sew? 

Let me know in the comments or by using the hashtag #NovelNaomi on Twitter. 

Naomi x 

No comments:

Post a Comment