Tuesday, 22 December 2015

Dealing with Chronic fatigue


As I sit here in the hairdressers I can feel my fatigue weighing down on me. With dark circles under my eyes, it is visible to not only me but others around me. 

But how can you get rid of this never-ending fatigue? The endless tiredness that gets worse with everything you do. 

This is how myself and every other spoonie feels on a daily basis. 

Exhausted and in pain, the simplest tasks like sitting in the hairdressers become hard and in some cases impossible. 

But of course it's not as simple as just getting some sleep. Like other Fibromyalgia sufferers, I don't reach the REM stage of sleep. In other words, my sleep is not restorative. I wake up feeling like I haven't slept in months, dog-tired and miserable because of it. 

Naps are my best friend. They are the only way I can get through the day in one piece, the only thing that helps my pain. 

But of course sometimes having a nap is not possible. On those days I rely on peppermint tea and (not wisely) sugar. Glucose drinks like lucozade also help, but it isn't really good for your health to drink them! 

Needs must right? 

So I have a question for my fellow spoonies: how do you deal with fatigue? Is there anything that helps you? Let me know in the comments or on Twitter using the hashtag #NovelNaomi

Naomi x

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same. I try to take a nap when I can, but it isn't always possible. I'm starting to really listen to my body though. If I am exhausted, I make myself lay down even just to rest but not sleep. I have to or I will crash. And for the days that I can't nap... coffee. Lots and lots of coffee.

    ReplyDelete