Thursday, 6 August 2015

Reasons to Read!


I am a self-proclaimed bookworm. I love to read, and from a very young age I always had my nose stuck in a book! Literature even featured in my degree choice, and I now not only have a BA Hons degree in English with Education, I am also returning to university next year to do a MA in English Literature. There are many reasons why I love to immerse myself in a good book, but here are my top five reasons to read! 

  • Number 1: It provides an escape from reality. When life is getting a bit too much, I find reading a way to escape. When I read, I can forget about everything going on around me and just focus on the story. I suffer from anxiety - which I will talk about in another post - and I find that reading is a great way to de-stress and relax. It has been proven that reading for 30 minutes a day helps your stress levels, and I definitely find this to be true for me! 
  • Number 2: It uses your imagination. Within 10 minutes of reading, your imagination comes out to play. From forming the way characters look, to how the scenes are described, imagination is used with every word and phrase you read. This is one of my favourite things about reading. When I read, it is like a movie playing in my head. The story becomes my own in a way, as it is my own personal interpretation of the characters and scenes I see. 
  • Number 3: Each story is different. This is true not only for each book, but also for each and every reader. No two people read a book in the same way. My best friend and I often have discussions about books and the way we see the characters, and the meaning we get from the stories is usually completely different. This is why I love to get book recommendations, as I love talking about books with others to get their views on the story and see how they differ from mine. 
  • Number 4: It is versatile. In today's society the way in which we can read is forever growing. From the normal paper and hardback copies found in bookstores and libraries, to audiobooks, and now also ebooks, there is a format suitable for everyone. I personally own a kindle, and while I still read paperbacks, I find that using my kindle has broadened my reading, as I have not only been reading more, but also from different genres. With ebooks there is also free books available, and I find that this is a great way for new authors to be introduced into the literary world. You can also now "borrow" ebooks from libraries, and I find that this is encouraging younger people to read more as well, as you can use apps like Overdrive on iPads and tablets.
  • Number 5: There is a book for everyone. In literature there is numerous genres you can choose from. This means that there is a book for everyone. From crime to romance, to even non-fiction, there is always something there that you can choose from. Personally I read most genres, though my favourites are Romance and Crime. My sister loves Non-fiction, and my brother will read adventure and spy novels. To me this is great, as it means that your reading can centre around your interests. As you all know I love to bake, so I love to read books by authors like Trisha Ashley and Carol Matthews, that feature baking and often have recipes in the back. It combines two of my favourite things, so what's not to love?


I could go on and on about why I love to read, but I want to know why you like to! Leave me a comment with your favourite reasons to read, I would love to hear from you all! 

 Naomi x

No comments:

Post a Comment