Friday, 14 August 2015

Learning guitar!

So this post is slightly different from my others, as it is not about what I can do and have done, but rather what I am trying to learn to do.  Which in this case is learning how to play the guitar. 

Now, for most people, this wouldn't really be too difficult.  After all, there is thousands of how to videos and tutorials on YouTube about learning to play, the chords and how to do them, strumming patterns, and even videos on how to play certain songs. 

Yea, not so easy for me.  And why? Simple.  I'm left-handed. 

Surprisingly this is a big pain for trying to learn the guitar.  My guitar is a very beautiful left-handed Martin Smith guitar.  That is held the opposite way from how right-handed people play.  So essentially, to them the strings on my guitar are backwards.

Isn't it pretty?


When I first got my guitar, I originally went to guitar lessons with a teacher in a local town.  Which didn't work.  At all.  I couldn't even get the chords right!! So I gave up, my guitar was put away, and that was that. 

My younger sister Jodie has taught herself how to play (really well!) and she is now determined to teach me.  And surprisingly, it is actually working!

Tonight she taught me 5 chords, and has even started teaching me a song - which is Blown Away by Carrie Underwood for those of you wondering. 

My next battle is strumming patterns...so far, I just can't get it right.  Part of my problem is that I am a perfectionist. I can't stand doing anything wrong, and I get really annoyed with myself when I do.  Part of it is just who I am, and the other part comes down to my anxiety.  As I discussed in my post about suffering from anxiety, I worry about every single little thing.  Which can really get in the way when you are trying to learn something new. 

I will conquer it though! I really want to see learning the guitar through this time.  And knowing my sister, she won't let me stop until I've learnt how! lol!

Naomi x

No comments:

Post a Comment