Sunday, 23 August 2015

Cakes galore!

The past week has been a busy one for me. On Thursday it was my lovely mum's birthday, so to surprise her I made her a cake:


It turned out rather well, especially as I haven't made a cake in nearly 2 years! This is just a simple sponge cake with jam and buttercream sandwiched between two lovely layers of sponge, decorated with more buttercream. I can't remember where I got this recipe (it's been a long time), but here it is!

Sponge Cake
Ingredients:
200g self-raising flour
200g caster sugar
200g butter
4 eggs
Jam
buttercream icing

Method:
Preheat the oven to 190C. Grease two cake tins and set aside. In a bowl mix together the flour, caster sugar, butter and eggs until it forms a smooth batter (I used a mixer for this - much easier!). Carefully divide the mixture between the two cake tins, smoothing it out in the tin. Bake in the oven for 20-25mins, or until golden and springy to the touch. Use a knife to go round the outer edge of your cake tins, and remove the cake. Leave on a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, spread a layer of jam on each cake, pipe round one with buttercream, before stacking together (jam to jam). Decorate with buttercream, or if you prefer, a light dusting of icing sugar. 

Buttercream Recipe
Ingredients:
140g butter
280g icing sugar
1-2 teaspoons of milk if needed. 

Mix together the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. This is best done in a mixer or with an electric whisk. Put into a piping bag and decorate your cake :) 

Tip: when making buttercream, make sure you have double the amount of icing sugar to butter ratio.  This makes perfect buttercream everytime for me, and I never need to add milk. 

Now as I mentioned, this week was a busy week in my house, as as well as my mum's birthday, my youngest sister Hollie earned her 1st Dan Black Belt in Kickboxing yesterday! So of course I made a cake to celebrate :) I'm so so proud of her, she did amazing and worked so hard. 


So there you have it, cakes galore in my home this week! Make sure you try this recipe out, and please share your creations with me if you do! Use the hashtag #bakingwithnovelnaomi on Twitter :) 

Till next time, happy baking!

Naomi x

No comments:

Post a Comment