Monday, 10 August 2015

British baking

So those of you who follow me on Twitter will know (and if you don't have me on Twitter, click on the icon and follow me), I was pondering earlier this evening as to whether or not I should bake...well I decided to and here is what I made!


When most people think about British baking, they almost always think of a classic high tea – sipping tea from dainty china cups, eating crumpets and of course scones with lashings of jam and either cream or butter.

Now, while we are notorious for drinking tea – especially in Northern Ireland where I live – we don’t usually have it in small dainty cups, but rather a good old fashioned mug :P. One thing that is true of course is our love of scones – also very true for the small place I call home.

As with most things, there is nothing quite like something baked freshly at home, and scones are no exception. Made with a grand total of 4 ingredients – yup, 4 – these are absolutely delicious, covered in jam and butter, with a nice cuppa too :)


That’s my rambling over for this post, so as always have a wee look at the recipe below and give it a go!

Till next time,
Naomi x

Scones Recipe
Ingredients:
225g self raising flour
50g butter
1/2 teaspoon of salt
150ml milk
Extra milk for brushing

Method:
Pre-heat oven to 230 degrees Celsius.
Sift flour and salt into a bowl.  Rub in the butter finely. Add the milk and mix to a soft dough using a knife. Put onto a lightly floured board and knead quickly until smooth.  Roll out to 1cm/ 1/2 inch thick and cut into rounds. Place on a lightly buttered baking tray. Brush with milk. Put in the oven and bake for 7-12 minutes, or until golden in colour. Cool on a wire rack. 
Serve with butter and jam, and an obligatory cup of tea!
(Recipe taken from 500 recipes for budget meals edited by Susan O'Loughlan). 

No comments:

Post a Comment