Sunday, 2 August 2015

Baking Beginnings

Where did it all begin? Well, for me, it all started in high school at the young age of 11. With that first batch of light, perfect shortbread I was hooked. Since then, baking has become a sort of escape for me, a joint first with my beloved books of course.

Now, 12 years later I love the subtle, peaceful art of baking more than ever. Sure, not everything turns out perfect, and I make the odd (ok, maybe not odd) mistake, but with the smell of freshly baked goods being transferred from the oven to a wire rack, the beautiful and tantalising scent wafting throughout the house, I am truly happy. And of course, not everything turns out bad…in fact, I have made some very tasty treats if I do say so myself.

Now, the shortbread I mentioned is truly the nicest I have ever tasted. Light and perfectly formed, it melts in your mouth leaving you wanting more. The recipe which I use is the same one I have been using since that very first time in my Home Economics class:

Shortbread

125g butter
55g caster sugar
180g plain flour

Pre-heat oven to 190 o’C. Beat butter and sugar together until pale. Add flour and mix into dough.  Roll out and cut into rounds.  Lay out on a lightly buttered baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Once baked, transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Sprinkle with caster sugar, or alternatively, decorate with icing. I usually just using caster sugar :)

Anyway, try out this wee recipe and let me know what you think.


Enjoy!

Naomi x



No comments:

Post a Comment